DIY Days at The Frankfort House, Part 2: The Reckoning
Our first week at The Frankfort House in April was productive, but, boy, did our second go-around at rehabbing the grand old dame sure put that first week to shame.
The rehab Gods were on our side this time, with sunny days in the 70s most the week, compared to rainy days in the 40s the last time we were there. This made for much less mess inside the house from cutting flooring and baseboards.
On tap for the second week of renovations:
- Finish flooring
- Install shoe and baseboards
- Make twin beds
- Put together dining table
- Take marketing pics of house and town
Thankfully, Caitlyn must be secretly related to Bob Vila or something (I often called her “Bobbi Vila” during our time there), because we were able to make great headway, enough to the point where we’ll be putting the house on the rental market in the coming weeks.
The original 1930s wood floors are still throughout the house, but they sure were a mess, between gouges, paint splatter, faded areas and massive slanting. Without the resources or know-how to properly restore those floors, we installed some new subflooring, consisting primarily of OSB board and leveling compound, and then laid wood-like vinyl planks on top. This helped level out some of the floors and will provide a refined look until we can take a deeper look at the original flooring down the road.
Unfortunately, the only tools we had that could cut through the flooring were a 10” Miter saw and a jigsaw. In the end, it worked out, but a slightly bigger Miter – and packing several more 200-teeth blades and jigsaw blades – would have been wise. Sadly, the closest place to Frankfort with a decent selection of fine-tooth blades is Traverse City, about 40 minutes away. I definitely made some long, lonely trips while Caitlyn marched onward inside the house.
Shoe and baseboards
It’s amazing what an inexpensive piece of baseboard or shoe molding can do to change the appearance of a room. We also have crown molding (left to use by the previous owners), and can only imaging how swank the house will look once we install that later this summer!
The one issue I ran into is that I am not very good at visualizing angles and cuts, so I was essentially useless for cutting the baseboards and shoe so that they would properly meet up at the corners. As a result, we ran out of shoe … and the best selection of shoe was 40 minutes away. Oops.
Like most projects, this took longer than expected, so budget extra time, especially if you’ve never done this before, and buy extra molding. We liked the Home Depot because you could cut the molding in the store (Menards didn’t offer this service).
Make twin beds
What do you do when you have a room big enough for two twins but have windows in places just awkward enough to make putting two twins side-by-side impossible? You build an L-shaped (or 7-shaped, depending on how you look at it) bed and join the headboards at the corners.
For this project, we picked up a bunch of 1x3s, 1x2s, 1x4s and more, and drilled pocket holes in most the pieces, painted them white with a simple Behr interior paint and nail-gunned extra pieces onto the headboard to give it more of a “barn door”-like feel. We slipped the headboards into two metal frames Caitlyn’s grandma head and attached the headboards. Caitlyn’s finishing it up with some storage space on top (although, there has been some discussion of rotating the beds so that they no long meet up at the headboards. More details to come).
Take marketing pics
With fantastic weather, grabbing some marketing pics for the house wasn’t too much of a hassle. We’ll make sure to share more details in the near future, once we get the go-ahead from the state on our legal name and get the website up-and-running.